• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired because of sick baby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

J Stewart

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
Beth,

I contacted the US Department of Labor like you said I should (fired because of sick baby) but they seem to be giving me the same run-around I've been getting from everyone else..."It's not a black-and-white issue there are some gray areas...we'll have to see what your former employer says...I think that library employees are county employees...what do you want, your old job back?" etc....Shouldn't they know more than that? It seems like someone ought to be on my side. Do you think I would have better luck going to legal aid and filing a law suit on my own?

Beth3

No gov't agency is going to give you a definitive answer without investigating. It sounds like they intend to contact your former employer to confirm the relevant facts and see what they have to say. That's the way it works. Remember, the individuals who contact them are only giving them one side of the story and in any number of instances, they're getting half the facts, skewed facts, or completely untruthful information. They have no way to know whether you fall into that category or not.

The DOL's job is to conduct an impartial investigation and determine whether any laws have been violated. They simply aren't going to do that on the basis of a phone call from only one of the parties involved.

If you'd like to consult with an attorney, you are free to do so but he's not going to give you a absolute answer and run to the court house and file suit either. He or she is going to give you an opinion based on what you tell them and then pretty much do the same thing as the DOL - contact the employer, try to obtain a copy of your employment records to establish what happened, etc.

I know you'd like justice immediately but patience is required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">