• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sued for breach of contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

haebyon

What is the name of your state? California

I signed a document that outlined the procedures I was to perform at my job, which included a statement that said I must give a two-week notice if I wish to resign. This "Procedures" document was not said to be a contract, but that is implied.

I was forced to quit without giving a two-week notice because I no longer had access to adequate transportation (a 2 hr commute to another city).

There is nothing in the document that indicates any consequences of not giving two-weeks notice.

Am I in breach of contract? Can I be sued? If so, for what?

I would like to resolve this before I file my wage claim with the Department of Industrial Relations as the school has thus far refused to give me my final paycheck.

Thanks.

Beth3

Whether or not the agreement your signed constituted a contract is something only an attorney can tell you after reviewing the document(s) in question. Chances are great that it's not however.

I can tell you that it is unlawful in all 50 states to withhold final pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">