• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete breach?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JayPeaTee

What is the name of your state? Florida

from november of last year to last year to last week I worked for a company that made all of it's employees sign a "non=compete"
late last month the company lost the contract to it's final store in the division that I work in, and effectively closed the store down...
management offered to give the employees of this store 1 of 2 options...
1. a severance package based on our average weekly paycheck
2. a position within the other division of the company for less money

they were asked about the "non-competes" because the company that was given the contract to operate in the same store after this company closed down was a competitor and offering for all employees to stay on so that noone would be out of work. and flat out told everyone, "you will be sued if you go to work for this other company"

I have personally asked more than once for a copy of the contract I signed, they have yet to provide it.

I left the company last week due to finding a job in another field of work.

My question is (though moot now) if I had went and tried to apply with this other company, would the original company have a case in taking me to court?

Hope this wasn't too long winded.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Without having seen the exact wording of the non-compete agreement no one here can answer your question. Florida state law would also come into it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">