• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doedoebird

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a salesman for a specialty food company and recently the company I worked for loss two major accounts which has cause some layoffs to occur. Two months ago when we lost our first major account , six people got laid off and received severance pay. Now two months down the road we lose the other account. I interview for the new company and got a job with them to start on 10-14-02 just to cover my back incase I got laid off. I found out on 10-04-02 from another employee that my former boss was going around talking to people, telling them not to worry they had a job and the people he did not see would not have a job, so I figured I was going to be laid off. On 10-07-02 my former boss left me voice mail asking me why I have not given my notice. He apparantly had information from somebody and knew each individual that was going to work for new company. Most of the other employees had given there notice but not me because I was still wondering if I had a job with the company. I was not offered a sales route nor any other position with the company. I had been with this company eight years so I was not sure what to do, so I was waiting to hear from my boss on my options or to see if I was going to be laid off. On 10-07-02, I ask him on the phone if I had a job with the company and his response to my question was "doubtful", but no yes or no answer. We agreed to talk later in week about it. On 10-14-02, My boss and I had a meeting and he offered me a different position in the company at a much lesser pay alomst half of what I made the year previously. I at that point gave him my notice that I was quiting because I did not want a job at half pay. So I get home from work on 10-14-02 and my paycheck has arrived in the mail. In the letter on my commission statement it says that I do not work for the company as of 10-14-02. The letter is post marked on 10-13-02. My question if I do not work for the company before this postmark day, do they owe me a severance package because to me that means I have been laid off. I did not give my notice to quit until12.30 pm on 10-14-02. Do I have legal recourse against this company for severance pay.

Beth3

No employer is ever obligated to provide severance pay unless they have voluntarily adopted a written policy that GUARANTEES employees severance pay. Because they offered severance to other employees who were laid off does not obligate them to offer it to you.

Since you accepted another job and your employer became aware of that, I can't imagine why they would offer you severance pay under these circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">