• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new hire wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rogue_54

What is the name of your state? ohio

my employer recently raised the beginning hourly wage by $.25. what I want to know is does he or doesnt he have to raise current employees by same amount?

Beth3

No, he doesn't. There is no law that says if you raise wages for one employee (or one group of employees) that they have to be raised for everybody else. As long as you are being paid at least minimum wage and wage decisions aren't being made on a prohibited basis (based on gender, race, age, religion, etc.), your employer can do what they want.

I'm going to hazard a guess your employer did this because they discovered that their starting wages weren't competitive and/or they couldn't hire the calibre of people they needed. I'm also going to guess the reason they didn't raise everyone's wages despite all the screaming and hollering that they knew would ensue is because the company can't afford it right now. How might I know this? 'Cause I've had to make the very same decision several times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">