• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

livnluv

What is the name of your state? texas
my boyfriend was in a relationship for 6 years with a woman that has two children by from a previous relationship. my boyfriend has raised the children as his own and now that the relationship has ended he is afraid to leave their home and risk losing his children. the birth father is not involved and my boyfriend and his ex were never married. what rights does he have in texas to adopt the children and have visitation rights? can his ex keep the children from him?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

livnluv said:
What is the name of your state? texas

my boyfriend was in a relationship for 6 years with a woman that has two children by from a previous relationship. my boyfriend has raised the children as his own and now that the relationship has ended he is afraid to leave their home and risk losing his children. the birth father is not involved and my boyfriend and his ex were never married. what rights does he have in texas to adopt the children and have visitation rights? can his ex keep the children from him?

=========================================

My response:

As for adoption, none.

As for visitation, slim to none.

He has to remember, when all is said and done, these children are NOT his, and obtaining "Third Party Visitation" is extremely difficult, if not impossible, in the absence of narrow, extenuating, circumstances.

If he's interested, he should seek a consultation with a local Family law attorney for a review of any rights he might have. However, the United States Supreme Court in the case of "Troxel vs. Granville", and it's progeny, has even made it extremely difficult for blood Grandparents to obtain visitation rights. So, basically, what I'm saying is that your boyfriend has a 90 degree uphill battle.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">