• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with new employer job definitions..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jobdog

What is the name of your state? IL.
Tues., October 1 as I was leaving my shift the boss called me aside to inform me we had been sold and the new owners would take over 4 days hence. There was no clear-cut word regarding whether I would have a position with the new folks on Sun., Oct. 6 or not, but a request was left that I should report as usual. That Sun. came & went and I was "hired" as an "exempt" status
salaried "retail manager. They did ask me who I thought was a good worker or whom should be kept and then They Mass fired almost all other employees. Did I "effect policy" as per DOL defin.? I did not personally fire anyone nor was I asked to do so. Two days later there were only myself and one other Dept. Mgr. (who is also now "slash My Assistant") left as full-time (yes Only Two Fulltimers!) and three part-timers left in the Entire Building!!! I had no say-so in that. I have not had a day off At All since this takeover occurred (today is my tenth conseq. day) and the joint owners have popped in & stated or responded to my frequent e-mailings (with a return phone call) and q's regarding this with "it will take us some time to change things we can't get more people in here overnight." Since there is not enough help, I am spending Way More Than 40% of my time at work doing manual, Non-Managerial stuff. I put in 78 hours those first seven days, and I had to cover two checkers' shifts when they, on separate occasions, did not show for work. Because they contend I am Exempt they will not pay OT or relieve my hours. I say I do Not meet DOL "Executive" criteria definitions for exempt, esp. as I do not know how to do their paperwork (am learning their numbers), I have acquired managerial skills and did not go to college for anything to do w/ business or management, and I only manage One full-time employee besides myself, not four as the DOL website states. Mostly I unload the trucks, put up & rotate stock, train checkers, cut meat, do produce, order the freezers and grocery, handle office respon$. along with paperwork, which with this new company has greatly increased. They are going to let me hire some part timers (whenever I can get someone) but they did not even let me know their idea of a pay-scale for new hires till a couple days ago. They have told me "this is your store so run it", but I feel that I do not affect policy - there is a standing pre-printed company policy handbook. I can tell the part-timers to not call me at home, though unless it is an emergency. Also since they say I'm exempt, there were no "official" records kept of my work hours last week, tho' this week after looking at DOL website, I am clocking in, unbeknownst to them. They have told me if I do not like the way things are, that I can leave thru the door. If I call my state labor board, I am very concerned that I will be blacklisted in this industry and/or fired for "some reason".
Any help is Greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">