• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nepotism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

booger67

What is the name of your state? Texas
I was just terminated without going through any steps. Basicaly,the reason they gave is for creating a hostile work enviorment. I believe it has to do with nepotism in the HR department. I got into an argument with a fellow employee in the Maintenence department. The problem is,this other employees wife works in HR. When I 1st went to talk to the HR director,this was the point I made. How can a dispute between me and an employee whos wife works in HR be treated fairly? She became infuriated and a few days later I was suspended for 3 days. After 1 day of the suspension,I was terminated. I had never been late,missed any work,or been in any kind of trouble before this. Just some heated words with an HR employees husband. The real kick in the pants,is that 1 employee had broadcast the N-word over the walkie-talkies and he still has his job. And the man I got into the argument with had been charged with sexual harrassment and had set off fireworks in the parking lot and he still has his job. I strongly feel that the real reason I was terminated,is because I wouldn't go along with the conflict of interest and nepotism in the plants HR department. Even though it is spelled out in the companys rules and regulations that nepotism is severly frowned apon. Do I stand a chance in a court of law? Surely the nepotism itself is the root cause in an already hostile work enviorment..............Garry

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nepotism is not illegal and does not come even remotely close to creating a hostile work environment in the legal sense.

Despite what so many people appear to think, legally a hostile work does not mean an environment that is unpleasant to work in. It means one in which the "hostilities" are CAUSED BY someone's reaction to your membership in a protected group. So if you were being treated badly because of your race, religion, national origin, gender, age 40+, disability or pregnany, that would be a hostile environment. It can also be called a hostile environment if you are being sexually harassed.

What you have described is not illegal harassment and I can't see any kind of legal case you might have.

B

booger67

So what you are saying is...

Texas.....So what you are saying is,it is legaly ok for the husband of an hr person to sexualy harrass and break city ordinances on company property and nothing happen,but if someone mentions the fact that this is BS and leaves them open to lawsuits,they can then turn around and run him out of town? What a wonderful world!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I didn't say it was all right for anyone to sexually harass anyone. I said it was not illegal to fire someone for arguing.

B

booger67

I have been reading about how Texas is an "at will" state and from my understanding,they can hire and fire "at will" . Even though it is crappy,there is nothing I can do. If a company wants to allow nepotism,favoratism and make overall bad decisions on personel that create bad enviorments, in Texas your choices are like it or lump it. In the long run the companys have the money and there is no protection for employees in bad situations. Hopefully getting fired will end up being a good thing. I still feel however that the termination was due to the fact that I stated I was opposed to the nepotism and how it helped cover up the sexual harrasment. Never could have imagined that Hillbilly politics could abound in such a large northern company like Walgreens. Who would have thunk it? Thank you for your responses although I am not real keen on HR managers at this point...............Garry

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an FYI, every state except Montana is at-will, not just Texas. (And even in Montana, employment is at will for the length of the employee's probationary period or, if there is none, for the first six months of employment.) At will is what permits you to quit without notice as well as what gives the employer the right to fire you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, it is rare that HR gets to make the decision about who gets hired and fired, even if they are the ones who write the letters/breaks the news. The hiring manager or employee's supervisor makes that decision. HR doesn't have anywhere near as much power as many people think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">