• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

looking for a agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FAYSTON

What is the name of your state? Mass.

9 MONTHS OF JOB HUNTING AND MANY INTERVIEWS AFTER BEING LAID-OFF I STILL HAVE NOT FOUND A JOB. I supect that my former employer might be giving out bad information about me. Is there a agency where I can hire to find out about these things . Please help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sure. Type in the word "references" in any search engine and you'll get more than you can use. However, keep a couple of things in mind:

We are in a tough economy. There are many, many more people out of work than there are jobs for them to go into. If you are getting interviews that's more than many people are getting. It's quite possible that it has nothing to do with your references at all but simply that there is more competition.

Even if your employer is saying "bad things" about you, you only have a cause of action if they are FACTUALLY untrue AND if you can prove that you would definitely have been employed except for this references. Many times a references is only one factor in a decision; not the deciding factor. And an employer is allowed to give his honest opinion even if it is negative. They cannot say you were fired for stealing if you weren't, but they can say you had bad attendance if you did have bad attendance; they can say you had a bad attitude if they believed your attitude was bad (it's not necessary for you to agree) and they can say they didn't believe you were management material if they didn't think you were.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">