• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor or felony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Spongeworthy

What is the name of your state? Georgia - Actually, I'm from Wisconsin. but my charge/conviction was in GA. My question is this: I am currently in the hiring process for a federal law enforcement job. One of the documents asks if I have ever been charged/convicted of a misdemeanor or felony. Back in 1991, I was charged with a DUI (for a BAT of .08; the lowest qualifying score for DUI). The charge stemmed from an illegal turn I made, for which I was pulled over, and the DUI charge arose. After hiring a lawyer, my offense(s) were reduced/consolidated to Reckless Driving. Now, I have no difficulty discussing this incident with prospective employers - have done so, in fact, for other federal jobs. However, I have never been asked whether it was a misdemeanor or felony, and am unsure what to answer. I was always under the impression that the difference generally surrounds the potential maximum of confinement/fines involved, but since I received only 12 mos. probation and a fine (somewhere in the vicinity of between $800 - $1,200... I can't remember), I am unsure both whether I can say I was charged with a felony or misdemeanor, or whether I was convicted of a felony or misdemeanor. In the meantime, can I assume any changes to the nature of the incident apply to me (ie - if Georgia law has brought DUI/Reckless Driving from a misdemeanor charge to a felony charge in the interim, does this change affect my own record?) Please help, if you can! I REALLY want this job, and federal background checks are very unforgiving when it comes to inconsistencies in reporting these sorts of things!

Last edited:

Beth3

Sponge, if you haven't already done so, you need to post this question on one of the criminal law boards here. While your situation revolves around applying for a job, the answer has to do with GA criminal statutes, not employment law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">