• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Check and Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robertrk

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am aware that most companies these days will perform a background check on a candidate prior to offering a position. However, I am currently working a full time job (15 yrs) and I am looking for a second job working evenings and weekends. My field is in administrative/clerical. However, I would take anything I could find right now because I am in the process of filing for Chapter 13 with a 5 year repayment plan. The petition should be filed this coming week. However, in order to keep up with the plan, I will need to work this second job to make ends meet. My question is that when I am applying for any position and the company does a background check, will they see the bankruptcy? Does a background check automatically include my financial affairs? Am I obligated to tell an employer, when applying, that I am in bannkruptcy? Can an employer run a credit check on me without first advising me he/she will be doing so? Thanks for your help. I just hope the bankruptcy will not stop me from finding more work. I am willing to work to do what is right, if I am given an opportunity to do so. Also, does anyone know of any jobs out there right now that may not run a check on my credit? I certainly do not have a criminal background. The only thing I have ever done so wrong in my life is to get info financial trouble needing to file bankruptcy? Is Bankruptcy considered criminal?

Thanks so much.

Beth3

Background check can mean anything from checking references with your past several employers to full-scale top security clearance with the CIA. Whether any employers routinely conduct credit checks on candidates is a matter of company policy and more often, the type of position you are applying for. I'm a Sr. HR practitioner and have never run credit checks on any candidates except those who are going to be in a position where they have high-level access to company finances - a CFO or Controller, for example. I'd guess employers in banking and related industries (credit unions, S&L's, accounting firms, etc.) run credit checks on most candidates prior to making an offer.

Without knowing what kind of part-time job you're pursuing, I can't offer an opinion whether it's likely a credit check will be performed - all I can tell you is that it's a lot less likely than you assume and you probably can calm down.

No, you do not have to reveal you are in the process of filing for bankruptcy during an interview unless you are asked. Nor would an employer finding out about this necessarily bar you from employment from the majority of positions.

robertrk

To: Beth3

Beth3,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my concerns. It certainly helps ease the worrying/tension a bit.
I greatly appreciate your input and information you kindly shared with me.

Thanks again so very much.

Robertrk

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">