• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dates of Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wondering247

What is the name of your state? Alabama
I was fired for taking a laptop from the company grounds. I was branded a thief even though it was a misunderstading that I had the laptop at home. I was worried about how much info that a new employer could find out from my old employer. I was liked by everyone including the hr department, so they told me to sign a document stating that the company could only provide dates of employment. If asked, can the old employer tell the new employer that I was fired/terminated, or can they only say that he did work here and we can not tell whether he was fired or laidoff? If they are able to say that I was fired instead of laidoff, can they provide the reason I was fired........any help or info links?.......thanks...

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's impossible to tell without seeing the exact wording of the document you signed whether or not it is legally binding on the employer.

Legally, an employer may give any information that is true, or their honest opinion. So if you were fired for "stealing a laptop" the employer may say so. However, very few employers will actually go so far as to say something like that, particularly in view of your claims of a misunderstanding.

If it was the employer's suggestion that you sign something limiting them to dates of employment, there is really no reason to believe that they will violate that, even if the document is not binding legally. Why would they deliberately set themselves up for something you might want to sue for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">