• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can company change my positions from exempt to non exempt with out back pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oksmileu

What is the name of your state? Michigan
The company I work for changed our dept from exempt to non exempt. This is what they said in a letter "This business decision is based upon a review and update of the job responsibilities,duties and requirements for all positions." I've worked there 3 years and my job has not changed one bit at all.

If I should have been non exempt should they be giving me some sort of back pay....for all the overtime I did work when they said I was exempt...?

And they tell us even though we are non exempt now the after hours "manditory" meetings they have we are not paid for...can they do that...I think we should be paid...
Please help...:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Non-exempt is the default position. They can make any position, up to and including the CEO, non-exempt if they so choose.

I would say that if you should have been non-exempt all along, then you *may* be owed back overtime. However, if the position actually does qualify as exempt and they have chosen to make it non-exempt, which they are allowed to do, then back OT is not owed.

You are right, however, that if you are classified as non-exempt, you need to be paid for mandatory meetings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">