• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption by relatives

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anthasm

I am a foster parent in Michigan. The parental rights of our foster children have been terminated and at the time of termination a direct consent adoption was not given to interested relatives in another state. Is there a time limit the relatives have to pursue adopting the children before they will be available for adoption?

D

dorenephilpot

I would say that if the children have been placed with you and if all is going well, you would have first dibs on an adoption.

There's not a time limit, though the office of family and children (or whatever it's called in your state) wants to close these cases fairly quickly.

I'd say if the rights have been terminated, then the adoption paperwork would be filed fairly quickly.

Hope this helps answer your question.

A

anthasm

more info

The Family Independence Agency is telling us they have to pursue relative placement before us. The children have been in foster care for 15 months, but have only been with us for 2 months (we are the third foster home). Parental rights were terminated over 4 months ago (I think).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">