• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident not by car owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevinm_99

What is the name of your state? Florida.

My son's girlfriend asked him to drive her car because she was uncomfortable driving it to a faimily function an hour from home. He hit another car shortly after getting in. I checked with out insurance company and they said that the car is insured not the driver. Her stepfather however freels my son should be resoponsible for the whole thing. I offered to pay a part but he has not been pleasant about it.
Is my insurance company correct or are there other related items I should worry about? No injuries just some light damage.

thanks,

stephenk

if the other people in the car your son hit decide to file a claim, the claim would be against your son and the owner of the car he was driving. the car owner's insurance company would be the primary carrier because coverage goes with the car first and then the driver. Since you son was a permissive driver of the girlfriend's car, the car's insurance will be primary.

to be nice you could offer to pay the deductible on the repair bill to the car your son was driving.

K

kevinm_99

stephenk said:
if the other people in the car your son hit decide to file a claim, the claim would be against your son and the owner of the car he was driving. the car owner's insurance company would be the primary carrier because coverage goes with the car first and then the driver. Since you son was a permissive driver of the girlfriend's car, the car's insurance will be primary.

to be nice you could offer to pay the deductible on the repair bill to the car your son was driving.
Thanks a lot for the information. It appears her stepfather is a real jerk to both the kids and he appears to be looking at someway to punish them. I just wanted to be sure that he could not turn this around on us and sue me or my son.

THANKS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">