• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

endangering minors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fuseer

What is the name of your state? Maryland

my 16 yr. old daughter had a blood alcohol level .286 after attending a party where the adult provided the property knowing kids would have alcohol there. is he held responsible for anything and can i sue? she was in ICU for 4 days, adolescent unit at mental health facility for 8 days, and now in outpatient program for another 4 or 6 days. thankfully, my insurance covered it but i need to hit this guy in his wallet so he'll close down this property to minors. she almost died, and kids have been going there for years. any suggestions will be appreciated.

stephenk

big hunk of responsibility goes on your kid's shoulders. was the property owner giving out the booze or just letting kids go on the property?

dont think a jury would be sympathetic to you trying to get money because your daughter was out of control. I bet this wasnt the first time she went out drinking and driving.

F

Fuseer

no, not the first time...this barn has been a prob for many of the parents around here. she's a 4.0 student cheerleading, volleyball, not your typical "problem teen". but...we don't condone children drinking at parties that she throws here at our home, and they don't come, they go to this barn. personally, i feel i have a pretty strong cival suit. i have kids willing to say this guy KNOWS they're drinking, not even smart enough to take the keys. last year a boy rolled his car. i know my kid is ultimately the responsible party, and us for not following her that night and policing where she went. fact remains, she almost died on his property that he provided with the knowledge the party was going to take place. i just want to get the parents around my community to wake up, too many kids are in danger every weekend, and they'll put themselves there anyway, because they're kids. but let's not provide the place for them. we're the adults, this is against the law, let them find their own places to party rather than making it easy for them to break the law. sorry to go into so much detail...but cival suit? maybe?

stephenk

how many times did you call the police to report the underage drinking at this barn? How do you know the property owner is aware of the kids drinking on his property?

For the other occasions your daughter has gone out drinking and driving did you ever think of filing a lawsuit against the people who provided the alcohol or the owners of the property where she went drinking?

F

Fuseer

i live in washington county maryland. cops know this guy. juvenile justice know this guy. hospital personnel know this guy. school staff know this guy. parents know this guy. he thinks he's being cool, and a real friend to kids. he's been around for two years. my kid isn't allowed there, but lied. whatever. no one does anything. once a parent went there to physically remove their child and were kicked off the property. when u provide a "safe haven" in the middle of the woods for kids to drink and do whatever the flavor of the week is, you are definitely setting yourself up for an impending law suit. whether they leave and have a horrific accident or wander off and pass out, it's your liability. end of story. my kid was at a drinking party, got drunk, some girl thought it was funny, and kept forcing alcohol on her til she was practically comatose. .286 is not typical of a 16 year old. it's a B.O.L. of a professional alcoholic. but i do know this...if this had happened at my house, my butt would have been drug into court quicker than i could blink.
oh, by the way, she's been caught one other time with her boyfriend drinking and driving. his parents came and picked him up from my house.

F

Fuseer

i also want to add, i would never just look for reasons to sue a person. if kids steal liquor from the cabinet then the adults at the premises are not responsible. kids have parties at their houses behind their parents backs. i wouldn't sue for that either, but i know there are people that try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">