• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sntr92

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was involved in a motorcycle accident recently. The driver of the Vehicle that hit me was cited for failure to yield. I was not cited. At the time I was in between insurance policies and had no coverage. the driver also didn't have insurance. However the owner of the vehicle supposedly has insurance but will not provide me any policy information to settle this claim. I have tried to contact the parties involved but have continued to be ignored. I also asked the police officer that did the accident report to try and get this information also they also were ignored. The damages to my bike are about 6500 dollars. What are my options as far as getting compinsated for my damages? would this be a winable case? what other damages could I ask for?

tammy8

"Between insurance companies":D ! That is one I haven't heard yet! Gotta share that one at the office tomorrow!

G

gooberitiz

hopefully you wont get a dime.

but you should sue the uninsured driver but since $6500 is more then small claims court limit you will have to file in a higher court with a lawyer.

And since he had no insurance what makes you thing he has any money either?

what damages should you ask for?

How about begging on your hands and knees for the motor vehicle department not to suspend your licence for 6 months for not having insurance, yup 6 months to a year in most states.

S

sntr92

Let me clarify the insurance bit. seeing's how the 2 people that replied first were so helpfull. I had just moved into the area from the west coast. The new policy for me had not gone into effect yet so there was a lapse in coverage. I have always had insurance. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised there's always some jerk out there that would just assume to crack jokes than give some actual advise. which is what I thought this forum was for.

You can go to the self-help desk at your local court house and obtain a packet to file suit against both the driver and owner of the vehicle.

By the way, you were being made fun of because there is no waiting period for motorvehicle insurance. It becomes effective the day you buy it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">