• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident, not at fault in Chicago, IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MazdaMP

Accident happened in downtown Chicago, IL.
The police report had "Cook County" on it.

Well, here is the story, I (male, 18) was driving down a one way street in downtown Chicago at 10pm in my 2001 Mazda MP3. All 4 of the next 4 red light in front of me were green, they did not just turn green but were green since a long time.

I was going about 40mph trough an intersection, when a Cadillac Seville suddenly ran in my passenger side (my guess would be he was going about 40mph as well).

I got shaken, my back hurt and my car was ...done!
The other driver, (male, 24) pulled over and we inspected the damages. Oil all over and my car was a mess, while his looked pretty decent.

Long story short, we called the police and got the reports.
At first, the other person claimed that I ran a red light,
but finally confessed to running it himself after finding out that we had a witness (he confessed to me and the police).
I was badly shaken and went to the Rush Hospital the same night because my back hurt badly and i was under shock.

I now have several questions:
a) what is the best I can get out of this? I think my car is totalled, the frame on my passenger side is bent. Furthermore, my entire right side is smashed (like i said, both of us were going about 40mph) Will I be able to sue? If so, how do I go about this? How much should I be able to get out of it?

b) i have many aftermarket mods on my car, some of which are broken (for example my car alarm), will his insurance have to pay for this? What kind of proof (receipts etc) do I need?

c) the day after (well, today...) we found out that I also hit some traffic signs on my right side. I do have a witness for this also (the construction worker at the scene today old me the stuff was moved and dented). Will his insurance have to cover this also or will they try to talk their way out of it?

d) how much does the insurance company have to pay me for every day without a car? can I sue for more dmages I have without having a car (e.g. taking cabs today)

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Heiko

G

gooberitiz

His insurance company doesnt have to pay you anything.

YOUR insurance company pays you and then sues the other company.

but you aint got insurance, i figure.

M

MazdaMP

gooberitiz said:
His insurance company doesnt have to pay you anything.

YOUR insurance company pays you and then sues the other company.

but you aint got insurance, i figure.
i DO have insurance, actually a very good one (Allstate), Comprehensive Coverage up to $300k :)

i would never drive without insurance....!

G

gooberitiz

Then Alstate authorixe you to get a rental car, a cheapie, but it will run... and you would sue the other driver for missed days, medical costs etc.

But be warned my experince with allstate has been, they are fast to pay, but they will try and find some way to blame you for the accident so they can raise your rates, and not have to sue the other party and waste their lawyers valuable time.

So You might have to get nasty with them in order to preserve your rights.

M

MazdaMP

gooberitiz said:
Then Alstate authorixe you to get a rental car, a cheapie, but it will run... and you would sue the other driver for missed days, medical costs etc.

But be warned my experince with allstate has been, they are fast to pay, but they will try and find some way to blame you for the accident so they can raise your rates, and not have to sue the other party and waste their lawyers valuable time.

So You might have to get nasty with them in order to preserve your rights.

Allstate told me i do no have to claim it with them,
so they only claim I really have is with State Farm, the oter persons insurance....is that good or not?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">