• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by DUI-Pain and suffering settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JL5

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi. My wife was hit head on by an insured driver. She (the other driver) was taken to jail, cited and also got a DUI. My wife went to the doctor. She has mild whiplash and inflammation. She is paranoid about driving home from work now and still has headaches. The car received about $2000-2500 in damage which has been fixed. Is she eligible for compensation for Pain and Suffering? If so, should I try to reach a settlement with the insurance Company (both her and the other driver have the same Insurance company)? What amount is reasonable? Or should I contact a lawyer (two have already contacted us)?

Thanks for the help! :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I would suggest that you obtain the advice of an attorney before you go any farther with this matter.

1. Attorneys know the law, you don't.

2. Statistically speaking, attorneys obtain higher settlements or judgments than those acting on their own behalf.

3. Ohio may, like California does, allow you to sue for punitive damages in DUI accidents.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">