• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel and Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LaBoy

What is the name of your state? OH

I want to use the name of a Public figure in a book that I am currnently writing. I want to know if this is possible. Also can I use quotes from his books, and if so can he sue me for punititve damages?

ellencee

You've asked a question that has broad answers and specific answers.

Yes, you can use the name of a public figure and you can use quotes, but only in certain circumstances and only for certain purposes without subjecting yourself to liable, slander, copy-right infringement, invasion of privacy, or owing the public figure a portion of your proceeds or a fee of another kind, etc.

If you are writing a book for publication, you should be working with an editor. If you are not at this stage, yet--then write away and when you are ready to seek publication, it will have to be submitted to an editor. The editor should be able gain permission or receive denial of permission from the public figure. Then, you and the editor make whatever changes need to be made to your manuscript.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">