• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fall in Building Lobby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Ladyhawk94

What is the name of your state? New York

I fell on the STEPS in the lobby of my parent's building the night of a rainstorm in front of 2 witnesses (1 related) and a security camera. I broke my right wrist which needed surgery and pins.

The lobby floors (and steps) had been refinished over the summer. Since then, there have been mats leading from the front door to the top of a set of 3 wide steps and another mat on the lobby floor to the elevator when it rains.

This has left me unable to work for several weeks and greatly impacts my ability to perform my curent job and will impede me from getting the same level of employment elsewhere

Another tenant fell shortly after I did but was not as badly injured. My father has spoken to other tenants that state they use the side entrance because the front door leads to the dangerous steps.

I hired an attorney and he sent an investigator to speak with tenants of the building. Because they all fear their maintenence fees will increase, they have all denied this although they still won't use the stairs or front door.

What can I do and do I even have a case? I have been out of work for weeks and will most likely sustain permanent damage.

Does the building have to show complaints from other tenants on this problem since this would show they were aware there was a problem and did not correct? Can we demand a copy of the tape?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">