• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sister's car - She Moved, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Web King

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi pals,

My sister owns a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL and we live in NJ. She married and moved to Tennessee and decided to give me that car. However, when I try to purchase Auto Insurance, the rate is so high just for liability and I m only 23. The car still has insurance on it with her name and my name in policy. Now, she changed her State driver license in Tennessee. Will anything affect the car and the policy coverage?

I mean she lives in Tennessee now and her her car is with me in NJ. Insurance policy has both names, her name and my name. Is there a problem if any happens?

Any clue for me? Is it ok if leave it that way it is?:mad:

As long as the car is still garaged at the address listed on the policy and you are on the policy there should be little problem.

There may be an issue when it comes time to re-new the policy since your sister is no-longer licensed or a resident of the state.

Have her transfer the title in your name and then drop her from the insurance when it's time to re-new the policy. Since the policy is already rated with you on it the rate may not increase.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">