• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i hit, do i have to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

calidriver

I live in California. I was at a corner, waiting behind another car to turn right. A firetruck comes downt he streey behind us with the sirens on. The car in front of me hits his gas and moves forward, so I start to move forward. He then slams on his breaks and stops in the middle of the street, instead of pulling over, which is what I consider SAFE, which is what you are supposed to bein a situation like that. Of course, I had no idea that the car in front of me woudl stop right there and I tapped him and broke his taillight. Now he wants me to pay for it. Obviously, it is silly to file insurance for something so small, but I don't feel I was at fault at all and I don't want to pay. Do I still have to agree to pay? What if I don't, will he take me to small claims court? What will happen there? Any ideas???

You asked:

"Do I still have to agree to pay?"- No, but you should. You were at fault for the accident.

"What if I don't, will he take me to small claims court?"- Maybe, it's his right if you refuse to pay.

"What will happen there?"- Most likely you will loose and the fine plus the court cost plus the repairs will not make it worth the effort.

"Any ideas???"- Pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">