• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tricky accident question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davidson

I live in georiga. I was stopped behind another car at the entrance to my apartment complex. The SUV in front of me began to reverse in an attempt to turn around. He did not see me and would have without a doubt hit me. So I began to reverse also which allowed him to narrowly miss me. As I backed up about 2 feet I hit the individual behind me going about 1-2 mph. I do not know if he was going forward, reverse, or was stopped. I acknowledged I was reversing. Now he is trying to extrort me for 1300 bucks for a minor scrape to the front of his 1991 unkept car. Am I liable if he was going forward? What if he was following to closely? Are we liable for our own damages to each vehicle? No police report was filled and their were no witnesses besides him and myself. Please what do I do? Thanks for any help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

It wouldn't matter if the car behind you was stopped or moving. The fact remains, you reversed your vehicle and, in that situation, it's not expected or reasonable for someone else to anticipate such a negligent movement.

You may also have a counter suit for damages and indemnity against the guy in front of you for the same reason.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">