• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Accident... Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RivMan

Michigan

Well, I was sitting behind a car at a stoplight, when I was rearended, and pushed into the car in front of me. No one was hurt, and the car I hit had very little damage. Mine needs quite a bit of work, but it's not too bad.

Cop came, took everyone's information, and wrote up a police report, and left. I didn't receive a ticket, and all the cop told me was basicly "Call up your insurance company, and give them this case number".

Well, later in the day I call up my insurance, and find out that my dad (I'm living at home, going to school, so my insurance is in his name) hasen't payed for it in Months, and it was cancled the 1st of october!

My car was in "Show Car" shape... And I'll undoubtedly be spending several thousand dollers repairing the car back to it's original condition.

Now my question is what should I do? Can I go to the lady that hit me's insurance? What about the people that I was pushed into? Will they be going after me, even though I wasn't at fault?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
-Rob

G

gooberitiz

You gotta have a LONG talk with dad...see what his problem is..booze, drugs, another woman, or is going senile? For him Not to pay your insurance, either he hates your guts or you gotta find out where he spend the money.

W

Walt848

I agree! A long talk with dad is a must without delay! No excuse for this action. You were put in a very uncomfortable situation to say the least. I agree, you should place a claim with the person who hit you!! Poor dad, ya better watch out - here I come!!!!!!!

no fault is no fault. you see your insurance company would pay and then they would go after the other driver's insurance. if you do not have colision insurance you are sol when it comes you your own vehicle. you are lucky you did not get a ticket for not having a valid proof of insurance in your vehicle. you cannot place a claim against anyone. slim chance but they might consider the vehicle that hit you at fault(I hope he got the ticket") so his insurance is responsible for the vehicle you hit. the most he couild get out of you is $500. I believe that is why we carry uninsured morotist insurance as part of our policy (in michigan)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">