• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

the custodian

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

My 18 year old son was driving my 1992 Mazda, when 2 guys in a pickup, changed lanes to avoid a car stopped to make a left hand turn. While changing into the right hand lane, the pickup crashed into my drivers side front, ( around the wheel well). The pickup just kept going. My son followed the guy and got the plate number. He went to the Police and they ran a check. They have his address. Bottom line is, the guy has not been picked up, the police are waiting for him to show up at the station. Fortuantely, my son and his friend were not hurt. I asked the Cops if he was going to be charged with leaving the scene or hit and run. The Cop said the determination for that will be made by the investigating officer. All the while they are waiting for this guy to show up, this guy has either sobered up or gotten rid of his drugs or what have you. He has a record of DUI and selling of controlled substances. My question, how do we proceed? The damage was minimal to my son's car, but I keep thinking of how close the accident could have been for them to really get hurt and this guy flits around as he chooses. I want this guy to pay for the damages and be punished for his recklessness. Next time, the next accident victim may not be as fortunate. Thanks for your time.

T

the custodian

hit and run

We haven't consulted the insurance company yet. All we had on his car was uninsured motorists and liability. Our newer cars are fully insured. The actual damage was nominal. My major concern is making sure this guy pay for what little damage he did and to pay for leaving the scene. He had no idea about the condition of my son and his friend or the possible damage he could have caused. It shook them up pretty good. The cops don't seem to be to interested. That bugs me. I don't want this guy to walk scott free. My son has only had the car 2 weeks. Thanks for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">