• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need auto accident advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jerec350

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Friday I was involved in an auto accident. The other driver was found at fault. My car was totaled. I went to the ER for neck, head, knee, and shoulder pain. I did not go by ambulance but I did go as soon as my wife arrived at the scene. I am feeling better but my shoulder and neck are still hurting.

Here is what I want from the insurance company:

-Payoff car $3600
-Cover med expenses so far (minor trip to ER and follow up with physician)
-And $6000 for pain and suffering and I'll release them from further medical expenses.

Does this sound fair or do I need an attorney?

Last edited:

J

Jerec350

Since my last post I have been to the doctor and they said that my shoulder is swollen and probably pinching the nerve. My neck is still very stiff but not sore anymore. I'm under doctors orders not to do any more working out or heavy work. I'm a police officer and was working out and practicing to go to the academy but now I have to put all that on hold until the doctor says other wise. Going to the academy meant a $3000 raise that I'm going to miss out on for probably 6 months now because I was going to try and attend the next class but can't now and the class after that is in March but my wife is pregnant and due in May and the classes are 12 weeks long. This accident has really hampered my plans so I have decided to ask them for this now:

Pay off car - $3716.55
Pay for trip to ER - $???
Punitive - $7000

So, back to my original post:

Does anyone here think that this sounds like a fair settlement? Any opinions are welcome. Please.

J

Jerec350

This is basically a bump topic. I would really appreciate anyones opinion on my topic. It has been viewed over a hundred times but still not one reply. I really need some opinions on this because I will be meeting with the insurance people Monday and I would like to know if what I am asking for sounds fair before I talk with them. The company is Allstate and I am not familiar with how they work or any insurance company for that matter. Any thoughts or opinions (good or bad) or welcome. Thanks.

P.S. - The reason I am asking for $7000.00 is because I will need $2000 for a down payment on a new car, missing a $3000 raise, not being able to workout or train until cleared by doctors, and future medical expenses. I figure if they go ahead and settle I will sign a release from further medical expenses and take care of all medical bills on my own. I just don't want this to drag out and take forever.

Last edited:
G

gooberitiz

all this BS, and you still havent told us if YOU have insurance on the car?

J

Jerec350

1st off I have full coverage insurance with Travelers. 2nd, why is this BS? I have never been through this before so I was seeking Free Advice (as the site is called) to know if what I was seeking in settlement was fair. All I am asking for is an honest opinion, not sarcasm.

Last edited:
G

gooberitiz

well 90%+ of the people who never say in their post wether they have insurance ...never do have it.

You can always get a lawyer, make an offer to their insurance company, but its YOUR company that will pay off the car, and deal with the other company, and they are always the one you talk to FIRST since you are paying for the service of having auto insurance.

J

Jerec350

Well the 1st thing I did when I got home from the accident was call my insurance then theirs. My insurance company said they would get back to me during business hours as did the other company. The following business day my insurance called me and asked for the specifics and afterwards told me that since it was not my fault and the other driver had insurance then their insurance would cover it and they could go ahead and erase my claim. Allstate called me and sent an adjuster to look at the car and they totaled it out. They said it would take 2-5 business days to get back with me on the cash value of the car. Kelly Blue Book showed these figures.

Trade In - $1500
Private Sale - $3200
Used - $5100

So I figure they can just pay off what I owe ($3715.55). Does this sound right?

T

toasted

If the car was considered totaled they normally will pay the blue book value of the car. If your figures are correct, then they should give you $5,100. They will pay for your medical bills. Do not count on anything else. If this is not fair to you your other option would be to sue the insurance company. But they can hold off giving you anything until the case is final in court. Which means it could take years to just be compensated for your car.

As far as lost wages, this should be handled with your insurance company, and they have a set amount (usually 60%) of what your wages would be. If you are working they willl not pay you for what you *might* have been making but for what you *were* making. So the $3000 pay raise would not apply since you were never making it. And they will only pay for days missed from work that have doctors documentation.

You can forget the pain and suffering.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">