• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MariaWang

We were moving from Oklahoma to New Jersey in Sept 2002. Still within Oklahoma, I was just driving straight down the road in the right lane, a semi truck hit the left rear end of our U-haul trailer, making our car ahead swerved to the left. And then it hit the left head of our car. Our car rush down the highway and rolled over. Fortunately, no one in the car, I, my husband, or our one year old baby was seriously injured except some bruises, scratches and sore.

We headed back to City and got a lawyer. We were busy seeing recommended doctor and psychiatrist in OK and went to NJ by air later. Police report said the truck followed too close and we did nothing wrong. The truck driver involved is insured by a Canadian insurance company.

When we met the lawyer in OK, he assured that we would win and then talked a lot about history. We didn't get the claim No. until one month later, at that time we've already paid the expensive rental car through our credit cards. Because we lost most of our stuff due to the accident, we bought new mattress, new table etc. in NJ. When all the bills came, we found we were very tight. So when the lawyer called to give me another list of doctors in NJ, I showed some hesitation. I hope he can first get the car's money for us. But after that talk, it seems he trys to avoid answering my calls. There is always voicemail after the operator transfered my call and my messages are never answered.

I will wait for another month, but I would like to know whether it's good if I fire my lawyer in OK and find another in NJ? If so, should I pay for the first laywer's service? And maybe it's good that I just call the Canadian insurance company myself?

Thank you very much.

ellencee

Maybe your attorney felt you betrayed him by not accepting his work product, the list of doctors in NJ.
Ask your attorney, write a letter to him, if he can obtain a settlement for your property loss while you wait for all medical treatments, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">