• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jthoen

I hope you can help me. I got in a car accident on 9-11-02. I was sitting still with my left turn signal on, waiting to turn and a lady rearended me at approx 55 to 60 mph. She hit me so hard I broke my seat and ended up in the back of my van. I suffered whiplash due to this accident and am still under doctor's care. I lost almost 3 weeks of work and then when I did return to work I was working 1/2 shifts. I had no car insurance due to non-payment of my premium. My insurance lapsed. I got an atty right away and now he is telling me that I will not get lost wages because I had no insurance. He told me I cannot go for a settlement unless I have a certain amt in medical expense or whatever. I need help! I waited 2 months for an answer and one minute I'm told I get lost wages and the next I'm told something completely different. I live in Minnesota. I need some straight answers of what I am and am not entitled to. I realize I had no coverage but hey, she hit me. Thank you.

J

Jerec350

I would think that they would have to pay your lost wages if you were hurt that serious to have to miss work. Just because you didn't have insurance does not change the fact that they were at fault in my opinion.

T

totallybroke

I found this on the web from an attorneys webpage

In the event of an automobile accident, who pays the medical bills?
In Minnesota under the No-Fault statute, an injured party looks to his or her own insurance company for payment of medical bills and lost wages even if he or she is not at fault for the accident. The advantage under the No-Fault statute is that an injured person gets compensated quickly and easily for medical bills and wage loss without having to prove who actually is at fault in causing the injuries. Medical and wage loss benefits are found in the PIP (personal injury protection) coverage of the individual’s policy.

Is property damage covered under my no-fault coverage?
No. No-fault coverage provides coverage for medical expenses, wage loss, and hired help.

What is No-Fault insurance?
In 1975 the Minnesota Legislature passed a "No-Fault Statute" regulating insurance you must have to operate a motor vehicle. It allows those who are involved in an automobile accident, regardless of who is at fault or who caused it, to recover costs for medical bills, lost wages, and other economic losses. No-fault insurance will pay for medical expenses including medical, surgical, hospital, x-ray, chiropractic rehabilitation services, prescription, and ambulance and provide mileage to and from treatment. The no-fault act also pays for wage loss including 85% of the injured person’s gross income to a maximum of $250 per week.

When damages are more serious, such as in:
death
permanent injury or disfigurement
more than $4000 in medical expenses and
disability lasting for more than 60 days,
the injured party has a right to file a claim against the at-fault person responsible for the accident.

Under Minnesota law, personal injury protection (PIP) provides minimum coverage of $20,000 for medical care, and $20,000 wage loss per covered person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">