• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

getalifebud

My husband was in an accident yesterday. He accidently ran a red light and hydroplained into a lady's car. I know that we are responsible for her damage but we have no car insurance. From what we know, she was ok. When the insurance comes after us for payment, can they sue us? If so, then if we file bankruptcy will is solve our problem? My husband was laid off several times this year and we just could not afford the insurance. What are all of our options?

G

getalifebud

forgot

I forgot to put that we live in Mississippi. Thanks.

T

toasted

If Miss requires you to carry insurance he could be fined by the state and possibly lose his license to drive for a couple years. I do not know the laws in Mississippi. Yes, they can sue you. And I do not know if you would get released from paying them by bankruptcy if it is a court settlement. You would have to ask an attorney in your state.

Have you contacted the woman? I would and I would be very concerned and I would try to settle with her and ask her if she would accept payments from you. It would be better than losing his license don't you think?

Even though you say you could not afford insurance, he should not have been driving if it was a law. He could have been killed. She could have been killed. Be thankful she wasn't.

Last edited:
G

getalifebud

Thank you for the response. We are going to go see an attorney today.

G

getalifebud

We talked to an attorney. We called the other people's insurance company. They are going to send us a bill for the amount of damage to her vehicle. When we get the bill, we call to make payment arrangements. Hopefully when we get the bill, it will not be outrageous. If it is, then we might have to consider chapter 13 bankruptcy. My husband is getting insurance on our vehicle. A hard lesson was learned. Car insurance has to be a priority no matter how bad we get financially. Again, thank you for this board. It really helped us out.

G

getalifebud

another question

OK. I have a question to ask that I forgot. Here is goes. If the lady has full coverage insurance, do they request the whole amount of damage to her vehicle or her deductible for us to pay? Can that be negotiated with the insurance company? If they try to make us pay the whole amount of the damage, then if she has insurance, then why would they make us pay the whole amount of damage if she has insurance? I hope my question makes sense. Thank you.

stephenk

because the insurance company wants to be reimbursed for the money they paid to fix the car that was damaged because of your negligence. Just because the other driver was insured doesnt get you off the hook.

if the other driver was at fault, her insurance would pay to fix her car and that would be it.

G

gooberitiz

Barabara:

YOU KNOW....if they take away hubbys license for no insurance that doesnt mean YOU cant drive and get insurance.

Yup you are going to be hubbys driver soon.

They will still probably cancell his insurance and license once they find out about this.

And he will have to get high risk insurance and pay in advace before he can reaply for his license back, so YOU become the default driver.

G

getalifebud

Are you saying that because of the accident his lisence could be taken away or because of his ticket of no insurance his lisence will be taken away?

The reason why I am asking is because the clerk told us that we have to show proof of insurance when we go pay his fine for his ticket of no insurance. Then his fine will be reduced. If he does not pay his fine, then his lisence will be taken away and his fine stays as it is.

T

toasted

No he isn't going to lose his license for this. If he was, they would have given him a court date and then it would be up to the judge. Right now you have a fine to pay which will be reduced if you show you have gotten insurance, right? So thats all you need to take care of at the moment. And later when you hear from her insurance company you can take care of that issue.

Goob can sometimes be a bit flippant when giving advice. Don't take it personally. Some people need the swift kick he gives. He's saying "what if" if you read it. Don't worry about it.

Glad to see you are being responsible about this though. And yes, insurance is very important to have and its usually when we need it that we realize it!

You're welcome to btw!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">