• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cdiaz1

I'm active duty military and have been stationed in Texas from Jan 99 - Aug 02 when I was sent to Korea. My wife and I had agreed to divorce before I left but were going to wait until I got back after my year tour here. I recently told her that I want the divorce now. We have two kids. She tells me that it will take a minimum of 3 months to get the divorce after filing and that the child custody and support have to be worked in the decree. All I want is a completely uncontested (by me, she can have everything) divorce as quickly as possible and then we can work out the child custody. Can you tell me where to go to find out what the law actually requires of us? Thank you for you assistance.

2 months must pass from the day original petition is filed before divorce will be granted. your wife is correct about the child support and visitation having to be decided before the divorce is finalized. those two things will be included in your divorce decree. I think later on you may regret just getting this divorce done and over with. It will be a court order that you will have to abide by for years to come.

texas statutes family code should be of help

H

huskerfan41

TX Statutes

here is a great site: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/fatoc.html

also, you do not want to put anything vague regarding parenting time in your decree.

Once you do this, you will have one hell of a time getting it changed -- when all hell breaks loose.

my best advice is to have it all spelled out about who gets parenting time and when.

that way, when you begin dating again or she begins dating again, the jealousy won't prohibit any visitation.

take it from the pros... this must be done prior to the decree

C

cdiaz1

Re:Texas Divorce

Part of the reason I'm in a rush is I can't afford to keep living the way that I am now. I'm scheduled to rotate back to the states in August. I'll be stationed in GA then and she and my kids will still be in TX. I'm paying all her bills now, that's not an exaggeration, and won't be able to save enough money for deposits on rent and other living expenses. Not to mention I'll need another vehicle.

I agreed that she should keep everything, the furniture, vehicles, etc. since she does have the kids. I told her to sell my tools, my car and my project car to help with the moving expenses she'll incur when she moves out of military housing. I agreed to pay whatever the child support is plus her truck payment. I'm not asking for much.

However, all this is irrelevant now. She spoke to an attorney and now she's asking for 650 child support, 650 alimony and about another 600 for her truck payment and insurance. I don't know if I can hire an attorney from here or not. Any advice is appreciated.

thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">