• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it neccisary to be married and allow my feonce to adopt my son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rog8nae

Is it neccisary to be married so that my feonce can be allowed to adopt my son?

What is the name of your state? texas

My exwife is giving up her rights. I am currently liable for child suppport yet have had full responsibilty for his well being since July. She has promised that once my feonce and I are married and state that she will adopt my son. She will recede and file the termination papers.
My ex. marriad a lawyer and the two of them have been very decietful as well as unethical. I am asking is it neccissary to be married and have all adoption papers done before she gives up her parental rights? Can the adoption and termination happen without the request she demands?
lastly if all does go thru and adoption papers are done and exwife terminates rights. Does she have any rights that we should be concerned with in the future? Such as deciding to be a mom again and wants back into his life?
Thank you for your consideration and time!

Last edited:

Seanscott

The court likes the couple to be married for awhile (in Indiana it's one year) before you file for a stepparent adoption. This waiting period can be waived, but it's not a sure thing.

If you have lived together before being married, the court takes that into consideration.

Once the adoption is final, it is permanent & irrevocable. After the adoption, the court will look at the bio-mom as nothing more than a stranger. She would have as much rights to the child as I do.

It is easiest if you get married soon, and then file the petition to adopt. The court will be quicker to terminate bio-mom's rights if they know there is someone willing to adopt the child.

Good luck to you. If bio-mom consents to the adoption and there is no fight, it will still take almost a year before the adoption is final.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">