• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jfincb

What is the name of your state? iowa i separated from my husband back in march. i am staying with my father and husband is in the house. can he (my spouse) legally keep me from moving back in or for that matter keep me away, period. no divorce has been filed and separation is not a"legal" one

ellencee

In NC the answer would be 'yes'; at least in the sense that if he came home and you had moved back in, he could go through an attorney and have you removed; the rationale is that you abandoned the home and left it to him. Unless you fled from abuse, in NC your abandoning the home would probably forfeit your ablility to be awarded the home during divorce procedings.
Call a family attorney in your area and ask. I'm sure someone will give you the correct answer for your state if you call and ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">