• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-consent to ny state adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LLONGENDYKE

What is the name of your state? ny. my ex-wife & her new husband have retained a lawyer to adopt my daughter. i did not consent to this. the letter states that i have agreed to this. they included an extrajudicial consent & affidavit of financial disclosure for my signature. do i need to retain a lawyer to advise them that i did not consent?

ellencee

If they have an attorney, you need an attorney.
I applaud you for not letting someone else adopt your daughter and being a caring parent (I assume you are.?)

Seanscott

Is this the first you've heard of the adoption proceedings?

If this is your first notification, then you have a set amount of time to answer. If you have been notified before now and failed to answer, then the court assumes you have consented.

You do need a family attorney NOW.

L

LLONGENDYKE

i heard about my daughter's request from my ex-wife in june 2002. she spoke to me about my daughter wanting to change her name because she states her new husband has been more of a father to her. these words did not come from my daughter. i have spoken to my daughter several times & she has not expressed this name change to me. i believe we have 45days to respond to their original letter (nov 2002). can i send a letter w/a notary public that states no consent? (without having to retain a lawyer?). i don't have a lot of money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">