• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Royaly screwed

What is the name of your state? Oregon
In the 12 years I have been married my husband has destroyed my credit, by the time I found out it was to late, he signed my name to several checking accounts and credit cards I never used or signed from the accounts, his name was on some of them but not on all, he failed to pay and they are on my credit record. I cannot even open a checking account, however he is able to get credit cards and bank accounts on his own. We recently split up do to another women & he refuses to let me see the finances or if the bills have been paid (they have not). I dont know if we will try to work it out or not. My Question: Will a Legal Separation protect me from anything he might do financially while separated? Will I still be liable after a separation? What can I do do to protect my self & my daughters future? Please help! Any suggestions?

i believe a marital settlement agreement would protect you while separated - meaning once the agreement is put into effect you would be protected from that point on. sounds to me like it might be time for a divorce. I'd start looking for an attorney and get those financial records that he would have to cough up in divorce proceedings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">