• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Playground accidents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angelfish

My church, located in Delaware County, PA (Folcroft) has a small fenced-in yard with a locked gate. Inside the yard is some playground equipment, i.e. swingset and small slide. We keep the gate locked to discourage neighborhood children from playing in the yard, however, it's not working.
If one of the children is injured in this playyard or on the playground equipment, are we still liable even though the gate is locked? Thank you for any help you can give.

HomeGuru

Angelfish said:
My church, located in Delaware County, PA (Folcroft) has a small fenced-in yard with a locked gate. Inside the yard is some playground equipment, i.e. swingset and small slide. We keep the gate locked to discourage neighborhood children from playing in the yard, however, it's not working.
If one of the children is injured in this playyard or on the playground equipment, are we still liable even though the gate is locked? Thank you for any help you can give.

**A: yes because the play equipment would be considered an attractive nuisance. Consult with your insurance company for more info.

T

toasted

This is only speculation on my part. I would say no the church isn't.

Do you have signs saying "private property' or "no trespassing"? Sometimes this will discourage children from climbing over a locked fence. If you see children playing there and do not tell them to leave, there is a chance at that point where you could be held responsible since you are aware of them playing at that time and did nothing to stop it.

A

Angelfish

Thank you both for your answers. I will check with the insurance and make sure we post appropriate signs to discourage entry.
Better yet, maybe we'll reconsider the value of the playground equipment and just remove it. More of the neighbors kids play on it that the church kids.
Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">