• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Child Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thechosenone

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I need information about divorce and child visitation. I currently live in NC but my wife and child still live in VA. We have been separated almost 1 year. Child support has been in place for a couple of months now through the State of VA. I need to know what steps are to be taken in order to get visitation set up as well as divorce. Would I need a VA lawyer or NC lawyer? I was told that I needed to go through the divorce first and then the visitation process. I am having problems with her sticking to my planned visits with our child. Please help!

H

huskerfan41

you need a NC attorney because the child has lived there continuously over 6 months.

you also need to set up visitation at the same time as the divorce -- do not allow anything vague in your decree -- because it is extremely hard to get it changed once it is a done deal.

specify time, places, events, etc.

good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">