• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear ended in a parking lot accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trantmark

I recently got into a parking lot accident where I was reversed out of my space and completely stopped and ready to proceed forward when I was hit from the back. Damages were minor, but the guy who hit me didn't have any insurance information on him, so I called the police. He then tried to intimidate me by asking me why I am calling the police when I hit him. I explained that because he had no insurance information I had to. The police weren't willing to come out because it was on private property so they asked the guy to provide me with all information he had available. Then I told the police that his car has an out of state license plate. At that point the guy began yelling at me while I was on the phone with the police, so the dispatcher said she had to send someone out to the scene because there was too much involved. While waiting for the police to arrive, the guy tried to intimidate and harass me by saying why am I getting myself into trouble because I will get a ticket for hitting him and also my insurance will go up and so on.....When the police arrived information was exchanged and the officer found out that the guy was using a company car for personal reasons and was going to cite him for not having insurance information available. We went our seperate ways and I reported the accident to my insurance. After that the guy had my phone number and began to call me and harass me and ask me what I told my insurance company. I refused to speak to him. Next I found out he is threatening to sue me and my insurance company.

My question is what steps should I take to defend myself? Should I file a claim against him? or let my Insurance company handle it.

I live in California.

Last edited:

stephenk

when you ask about filing a claim against the other driver, are you talking about the damage to your car or something else?

Has your car been fixed by your own insurance company? If yes, then your carrier will go after the other guy and his insurance.

A

aero0130

It sounds to me like your primary concern should be obtaining a restraining order against this guy. If he has been making a number of unsolicited and unwanted phone calls, there are records they can look at, just maintain that you told him in very simple terms that you didn't want to speak to him and he continued to call. At the very least it should make things more easy going for you, as violating the restraining order would make things bad for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">