• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable for half the house payment...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdailey

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Our separation agreement lists him as responsible for making the house payment - both names are on the mortgage. The house is mine to live in until sold - I moved out 8 months ago and he's living there now. He wants half the house payment after the house is sold for the months that I did not live in it....can he do that?

Last edited:

annefan

mdailey said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Our separation agreement lists him as responsible for making the house payment - both names are on the mortgage. The house is mine to live in until sold - I moved out 8 months ago and he's living there now. He wants half the house payment after the house is sold for the months that I did not live in it....can he do that?

Only if your separation agreement stipulates that you would be responsible for half if you vacated. If it states that he is responsible for the mortgage payments period, then he's "responsible", but only in the sense that this is an agreement between both of you and has no bearing on the actual mortgage if it is still in both names. The mortgage company expects to be paid by both parties and is not bound to your settlement agreement.

kat1963

*LOL* I'm trying to figure out his reasoning behind that one. He should be happy that he's actually living in the house he was forced to pay for anyway! Just by chance, are you sure he didn't say half of repairs/improvements needed to sell the home?

KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">