• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oil change accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lokuanyu

I took my car to get an oil change from Jiffy Lube a couple of days ago (total of 60 miles since). As I was driving to work the car started to smoke. I had the car towed to the Honda service center because it was still under warranty. They told me someone had forgotten to screw on the radiator cap or that it wasn't secured tightly enough. Since this was not Honda's fault the warranty doesn't cover the damage.

How should I proceed in getting my money back for the repairs and towing? I read on the internet of someone having the same problem. The service tech forgot to attach the radiator cap. He mentioned that they showed him a video of the tech screwing on the cap (with his back covering the engine compartment. Would I need some kind of legal paper asking for the video if there is one?

I'm in Portland, Oregon.

HomeGuru

lokuanyu said:
I took my car to get an oil change from Jiffy Lube a couple of days ago (total of 60 miles since). As I was driving to work the car started to smoke. I had the car towed to the Honda service center because it was still under warranty. They told me someone had forgotten to screw on the radiator cap or that it wasn't secured tightly enough. Since this was not Honda's fault the warranty doesn't cover the damage.

How should I proceed in getting my money back for the repairs and towing? I read on the internet of someone having the same problem. The service tech forgot to attach the radiator cap. He mentioned that they showed him a video of the tech screwing on the cap (with his back covering the engine compartment. Would I need some kind of legal paper asking for the video if there is one?

I'm in Portland, Oregon.

**A: why have you not contacted Jiffy Lube yet?

L

lokuanyu

I haven't contacted them yet because I'm thinking that if I go over there and tell them what happened all they're going to do is say "How do we know you didn't take the cap off yourself?" Then I would be there just to argue which won't get anything done.

If there is a chance that there is a video, then what's stopping them from saying that there isn't one and when I come to talk to them, they trash it or tape over it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">