• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what do i do next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cayla99

What is the name of your state? california

Today my husband served me with divorce papers. Bottom line is that we are doing this ourselves and both want the divorce over with. I have no intention of responding. what do i/we need to do next to get this over with as quickley as possible? He has an urgent need to be remarried by the beginning of June.

Whyte Noise

Bottom line is that if you don't respond within the alloted time for your state, he'll go to the courthouse, request a Default Judgement, and will be granted everything he's asked for in his original petition. By not responding, the courts look at it as if you agree to everything he's stated. If you have children, and he's asked for custody, he'll get it. If he's asked for child support, he'll get it. If he's asked for spousal support, he'll get it. If he's asked for the house, he'll get it. If he's asked for the car and the dog, he'll get it. If he's asked for that china collection that belonged to your grandmother, he'll get it. Do YOU get the point? I'd think through the "I have no intention of responding" part if I were you. Otherwise, he's gonna get the goldmine (if he asked for it) and you're gonna get the shaft.

annefan

I think the poster meant she had no intention of responding to the post, that she just wanted advice, as she stated, she wants to get it over with too.

cayla99

actually, I am "helped" him fill out the papers. I get the house, kids, new car and he gets the cats and a 1990 geo metro with 300,000 miles on it. I am getting child support also, we have been seperated for 3 years and basically have split everything up to our satisfaction. We are just trying to get the prossess done as cheaply and as quickly as we can since his girlfriend really needs to get married by june.

stephenk

once you are served the papers, make sure the proof of service is filled out and filed with the court. After the mandatory time to respond passes, fill out the judgment paperwork and file it with the court. Once the judgment is signed by a judge you are divorced.

By the way, why does ex's girlfriend have a pressing need to be married by June?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">