• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bio father put my daughters name in birth announcment of HIS new child (M)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

momof2girls

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Ex gave up rights to daughter (7, now) my husband adopted her, everything is final. Yesterday in the local newspaper, there was a birth announcment for exs new baby girl. Had It's picture with ex's wifes daughter. In the working it says that "new baby joins two sisters , AW (exs step daughter), pictured and TBM (MY daughter with exs last name inbetween her first name and her last name!), not pictured."

Is there some LAW against this? My daughter does not want to even be assciated with that family. (bad mental abuse from him) She knows there is a new baby, but doesnt want anything to do with it. She just has got out of counceling and off medication from the way he treated her ad I DO NOT want him putting her name in the local paper (small town) as if she was still his daughter and there was any relationship there.

The local paper (after SEVERAL threats from me, lol) said that they would re run the pic and change the wording and leave out his last name from hers and list me and my dh as her parents and her just being a half sister, IF I bring the PROOF that he no longer has rights and an adoption has happened (court papers). I dont want her name listed at ALL!

Here is a simple example of what I feel:

Person A has a child, mentally abuses it to the point that the child is on medications and has panic attacks. Person A no longer wants the child so gives up rights and leaves the child without a cent and goes on with their life. Person B and C (you and your dh) legally adopt this child. Child is made GREAT progress with your and dh help. Person A is COMPLETLEY out of picture, not allowed to have ANY relationship with child, doesnt try. THEN, Person A's birth announcment is in local newspaper, with pic of person A's step child and new born. Under it YOUR AND YOUR DH'S child is listed as the sister to those children and made to look like Person A is the "Father" and Person A's parents and YOUR CHILD's grandparents.

So you are saying that in adopted kids case that it is OK if their birthparents put their EX childs name in the newspapers during other births and probley birthdays of any future child that THEY may have? Dont they give up that right when they Give Up Their Rights to that child and the child gets adopted by another family? Wouldnt that be a little tramatic for ALL adopted children?

Any advice please?

Seanscott

You are 100% right to be upset about this. I'm a little upset just reading about it!

I don't think this is really against the law. If it is, it can't be considered much more than a misemeanor. If your daughter is very upset, the maybe you can sue biodad for damages. Of course - "nobody wins when you wrestle with a skunk."

Instead of arguing with the newspaper people, I would go back to your lawyer and ask him to write a letter to biodad reminding him that he gave up all rights "permanently & irrevocably", and in the eyes of the court biodad is a stranger to your daughter. Also threaten legal action if anything like this ever occurs again.

I don't know if there is really much you can do about this terrible event. Biodad has absolutely NO rights at all to even speak to your daughter, let alone "claim" her in the newspaper.

You have my sympathy, wish I could help you in some way.

M

momof2girls

I did...(M)

because I didnt want her to be UNPREPAIRED when someone told her that they seen her name in the newspaper listed as ... PLUS she has a section in the paper that she reads. I really dont see where that is relavent to my question of the legal aspect of a exfather using a childs name that he gave his rights up on and she is now adopted. I will take care of my daughters well being of what goes on, I would just like to know the legalities of what he has done.

M

momof2girls

Thanks you seanscott (M)

I will see if my attorney can do that. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">