• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance adjuster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prokni

Got rear ended by anoter car. I was stopped at Red light when she hitted me. It has been a week but her adjuster keep saying that he has not talked to her and he can not accpet the liability.
What should I do ? Should I wait? For how long?!!
I don't want to pay the rental and deductable out of my pocket and collect it later, i really prefer to waive it right now.
Please advice?
How long he can hold on to this situationa dn keep saying me that he ha snot talked to his client.
I am waiting for the Police report. I just called them and it seems that one is going to be ready in two weeks.

Last edited:

stephenk

you can always have your car fixed through your own insurance company. Then your insurance company will go after the other driver's insurance company for reimbursement of the money they paid, including any deductible you paid. You were insured right?

P

prokni

I am insured

I am insured. Actually we both insured with the same company.
Do you think it is easy to get the money back after you pay it out of your pocket.
You mean I pay the rental and pay my deductable and then try to get it through them.
Is it normal process?
My policy does not support rental car.

stephenk

if you are both insured with the same company, typically your deductible will be waived. If it is not waived, your adjuster will seek reimbursement of the deductible from the other driver's policy.

Regarding your car rental, you can rent the car on your own and then make a claim against the other driver's policy for reimbursement or you can file a small claims action.

P

prokni

Thanks for the quick reply.
What is teh small claim aciton? Sorry I am totally new to these stuff. my first time!!
Should I calim agains the insurance or the driver?

stephenk

your claim is always against the other driver.

go to your local courthouse and ask for information on small claims court. You will be provided a brochure that explains everything.

since i dont know what state you live in i cant give you any court website information.

P

prokni

I live in california. I got the web site.
do u think i should file it now or just wait to get all the information. Police report would be ready in 2 weeks and i really don't know when her adjuster can get a hold on her client.

P

ProResearch

You should wait a little while longer I think. One to three weeks is not unusal and even more time may be needed. When my car was totaled with $16K damages due to a #($&#* running a stale red light, it was about 8 weeks before my insurance company settled with me. It was another six weeks before I got my deductible back after my insurance company got some money from the at-fault driver. I say some money because he only had $10K in property damage liability (which is the state's requirement). The collision on my car paid the rest.

What was interesting though was when my insurance did get the $10K, they asked if I had any other expenses to claim against this money. I said, like what? And they said if I had to rent a car this was the time to make the claim. Hmmm.... I never knew. All I know was the other side kept saying to me there was not enough money for a rental. Grrrrrrrr...... but for me, I did not pursue it further because I actually couldn't drive for several months after the accident, so it was "okay" that I didn't have a car to drive.

But I now know that if this should ever happen again and I am able to drive, I will rent a car no matter what and the other side will eventually have to pay, some way or another :)

Give it some time and do what you need to do as far as car rental and medical bills, etc. especially if you have the money upfront. (and/or health insurance if you were hurt). The problem comes in when folks don't have the money to pay for their necessities after an accident and the other insurance company is waiting to see how desperate you are..... will become, so they can offer you a lot less than what is "fair."

Let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:

tammy8

Usually adjusters can not make any type of determinations until they speak to the insured. Usually there is a certain day window to speak to the insured (usually 30 days). Get the police report and send it to the adjuster. This may speed things up a little.

As far as deductibles, some companies will waive deductibles if you are with the same company but this depends on the state you are in. Some state consider this discremination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">