• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vhaberman

What is the name of your state? Texas My daughter has been married one year to a man who refused to work. She has worked two jobs to support her family during this time. She had made the decision to divorce him several weeks ago when he began to exhibit strange behavior. It became severe and he was taken to the emergency room and admitted to hospital. He has been diagnosed with a deteriorating mental condition caused by several strokes he apparently had some time back. He is exhibiting aggressive and combative behavior and is not expected to improve at this point. My daughter is feeling "trapped". Is she going to be able to get a divorce from this man since he is mentally unstable? She wants to get out of this situation but doesnt know if she can. She needs help. Any legal advice on divorce in the state of Texas in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

I live in texas but i'm not an attorney. some suggestions...
have your daughter set up an appointment with your area's texas legal services/legal aid office. Even if they decline to take her case they usually give some info/advice pertaining to her situation/case...should they decline check around for attorney's that will give free or small fee first consultations. i paid $50.00...

i'm unsure for your daughter's situation, but a magority of divorces in texas are obtained under "no fault" based on the grounds of the marriage being insupportable.

i recall something about confinement in a mental hospital for 3 years would deemed grounds for divorce in texas.

do an online search for texas statutes/family code/divorce
or try
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes

once you're in (the texas statutes) go to family code
then search through for statutes covering marriage and divorce

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">