• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Faith?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crluque

What is the criteria for bad faith? Our 2002 class A motorhome was damaged while legally parked in the lot at my husbands' work. He works 200 miles from home, so we purchased this for him to reside during the work week. The vehicle that hit our motorhome is owned by a major company.(Two letters, HQ in MI.) They do not have insurance for such things because they post a bond. It has been four months now, we have made our demands clear in writing...pay for repair, transportation of motorhome to be repaired(it is unsafe to drive as is), and motel expense. They said they would pay to fix it (for the amount the adjuster stated...which he admitted was a ballpark..he had no clue what it would actually cost) and motel, then they changed their mind and said repairs and nothing more, now they say transportation and repair. They are playing with us and meantime my husband has no heat because he is out of propane and his grey tank is full so he cannot use the shower, etc. I want to threaten them with bad faith, do I have a case?

ALawyer

Not for bad faith, unless there is some quirk in your state's law that I as an non-MI lawyeram not aware of.

You have the right to sue them for the damage they caused. BUT they are an adversary and do not have a duty to act toward you in good faith, as if they were YOUR insurance company, any more that an ordinary motorist who hit you has to pay your claim.

If there is any possible claim of personal injury, a local lawyer will get them to settle fast. And getting advice from such a lawyer makes sense anyway, as s/he know what your rights really are and what your state's local practices are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">