• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate & Personal Property of Ex-Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leede42

What is the name of your state? NEVADA

Divorce was final 4 years ago. My ex has yet to make arrangements to pick up her property. Do I have to hold on to these things forever if she chooses to leave them at my house?

V

velbing

separate and personal property

Send her a certified letter (meaning she has to sign for it) stating that she has 30 days to remove her belongings or forfeit them. If she doesn't come and get them then she is out of luck.

L

leede42

Thanks for your reply Velbing. Your response makes sense, but will it hold up in Court in Nevada. She always says she is coming to pick up these things, but never does, yet she keeps insinuating that I'm keeping them from her.

V

velbing

separate and personal property...

Will hold up just fine. After being divorced for 4 years, she has no more rights than anyone else. If you give her fair notice (via certified mail) and she fails to take appropriate action to remove the items they are considered abandoned property and you have the right to dispose of them as long as you are not hindering the process by refusing reasonable access to them.

Last edited:
L

leede42

She has been told verbally, and in a recent certified letter that all she has to do is arrange a specific day and time to retrieve the items. She left a message on my answering machine indicating she would be by last Wednesday or Thursday, or sometime this weekend, or next. If I don't hear from her by the end of next week, I will send the certified letter as you suggested. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">