• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stunna2681

state: ohio

I was involved in an auto accident 2 months ago, I was turning left on red, (already in the middle of intersection), the intersection was clear and a vehicle was stopped at the light opposite me (meaning I turned in front of this vehicle), I turned and a van ran through the red light hitting my passenger side of my truck, the van never hit his brakes, completely totaled my truck. I was never asked my side of the story and was cited for failure to yield. Only 2 witness's at the scene, they told my girlfriend and mother that it wasn't my fault but when the ticket-issuing officer gave me the ticket 2 days later he said the witness's said my light was green and they didn't need my side of the story, the witness's were sitting where I was turning in, I went there and sat where they were and you cannot see the color of my light at all, only the color of their own light. Went to pre-trial and whoever it was I talked to (prosecutor) never wanted to bother to look at my evidence and told me I'm better off pleading no contest if I'd like, after discussing it more, another pretrial is set for a couple weeks from now, my insurance also refuses to cover the accident, the truck was new and i called in the insurance (gave VIN, color, etc.) and since the lady I talked to was a trainee they said I wasn't covered. (state farm ins.), recieved collection bill for other van (about $8500). Still have recieved nothing for my truck or anything. I know I need a lawyer but I was 17 at the time of the accident (18 now) and have no money for one, my question is if I have a good case or not..thanks for advice..Josh

stephenk

why wont your own insurance pay for the damage to your truck? Did you have collision coverage?

do you have the names, addresses or phone numbers to the witnesses that support your position?

stunna2681

well heres the story of why my insurance (state farm) won't cover:

first: I bought the truck, it didn't run and i had it being worked on and when I got it running finally after 3 weeks and talked to the insurance agent, gave VIN, model, make, etc. She said to come in the next work day (talked to her friday, had to come in monday), we do this with every single car we've had and they said we would be covered, (you get a grace period), well the accident happened sunday, my mom reported it and they said they called and left a message w/ babysitter saying i wasn't covered because i drove the truck without insurance, no one ever got the message, babysitter is stupid, we already planned on coming in monday to pay and when my mom talked to them again they said the lady that i talked to friday was a trainee and therefore they weren't liable because i guess there not accountable for what she says? (which makes no sense because she's working for state farm or is going to?) Anyway I had insurance with them before i got the truck for my last car and currently have insurance with another carrier now, i dont' drive without, everyone in my household has and had insurance with same company at time. I had liability last time and was planning on the same coverage this time, so therefore I believe they should pay for the other party's losses. I got the police report but there were no witness statements in them, when i went to the pretrial they had the witness statements, the witness's told my girlfriend and mother at the scene that I wasn't at fault but i guess didn't stick to the story after talking to the police, I was NEVER asked my side of the story.. Also i was 17 at the time, the truck was in my name, is there anyway i can make it to where they can't come after my mother if the other party sues?

stunna2681

Also, I'm going to court this Thursday and I'm thinking to plead "No Contest", the way the law states it, I don't believe I would win and would just cause more bad than good if I went to trial, although I don't believe the accident was my fault , he ran a red light, anyway my concern is shifting now to my insurance company (former actually), state farm. Should I take them to court and see maybe if they will settle or something? I don't believe what they did was right and there just trying to get out of paying it, my mother got into an accident about 6 weeks before me and they had to pay, she had full coverage, I think that has something to do with it..anyway should I take state farm to court, do I have a good case? Thanks..

A

aahlee

She said to come in the next work day (talked to her friday, hadto come in monday), we do this with every single car we've had and they said we
would be covered, (you get a grace period), well the accident happened sunday,
-----------

This is what you need to prove, if you cant then you had no reason to drive the truck over the weekend, and were not covered.

A

aahlee

first: I bought the truck, it didn't run and i had it being worked on and when I got it running finally after 3 weeks and talked to the insurance agent, gave VIN, model, make, etc.
-----------------

So you admit being a cheapskate, and didnt want to spend 3 weeks extra on insurance because you did not have a running truck.

And you called it in, what dont you have any friends or FAMILY that would have DRIVEN you with the paperwork,to their office and wait for you, so you can get a reciept that you actually paid for the insurance.

Last edited:

stunna2681

And you called it in, what dont you have any friends or FAMILY that would have
DRIVEN you with the paperwork,to their office and wait for you, so you can get
a reciept that you actually paid for the insurance.

..ok, listen, believe it or not, there are people out there working everyday with honest jobs, no i am not a cheapstake, i dont make a 100 grand a year so yes i try to make the best of money, i am 17, go to school, work minimum wage, so I really can't afford 3 weeks of insurance that is going to be put to use..we've do the same with every other car in our family, we are all honest people, if you don't know how to answer my question, then please, don't, it only insults our intelligience level, i am in no way trying to be rude, i am just trying to get help, that is all, i can not afford an attorney, the attorneys the state wants to provide are pretty much a member of the prosecution, my mother, friends, and anyone else I know work 50+ hours a week, so no, they don't have time to run me places, it isn't their job, so please if you aren't going to help me, then don't be rude..thank you

stunna2681

also, if you would have read what i typed, i said I CALLED my insurance agent, just like every other time, at this age in time there are not receipts printed over the phone, its a person's work you have to trust, if they say " you are covered" then you have to believe them, since they have been like that since you had insurance with them, but when you get into accident then things change because they have to take up responsibility to do their part....also, according to our policy, we get a grace period after we call in, thanks

A

aahlee

.also, according to our policy,we get a grace period after we call in, thanks

Prove that and your covered! is it in their computer the time you called and do you have the name of the person you called.

dont worry every one else who posts on this board is just as scatterbrained as you,

its just amazing the amount of people who find all the insurance money the day after their accident.

good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">