• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driveway parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Apex

What is the name of your state? California

I got a parking ticket at 11:22pm that says because I parked "on sidewalk," but I was parked on my own driveway. Also there is enough sidewalk space (around 4 feet) for people to walk. I don't understand why I got this ticket, can I appeal?

Also I like to know what is the standard for parking on driveway? Should the car go all the way up and leave sidewalk space between curb and back bumper of car, or park on 2/3 of the sidewalk and leave space between garage door and car's front bumper? I'm confused, because including this ticket, I've got tickets for parking either way.

M

Mikedani

The way the law reads you cannot park; "On any portion of a sidewalk, or with the body of the vehicle extending over any portion of a sidewalk."

So you may park on your driveway as long as you can keep your car from breaking the plane of the sidewalk.

A

Apex

Thanks!

But what does it mean by "break the plane of the sidewalk?"

HomeGuru

If any part of the vehicle is encroaching into the sidewalk area, that would be considered parking on the sidewalk.

A

Apex

Which part is counted as sidewalk area? And how should I park in my driveway so I will not be encroaching the sidewalk?

My neighbor's car was parked next to my car, but he wasn't parked in his own driveway but at his front door and blocked the whole sidewalk. Yet he did not get a ticket. That's why I'm confused.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

I'm also confused since this thread was about your car and your ticket and not your neighbor's car.
Was your neighbor's car present at the time of the ticket? Have you been a repeat offender? Do the cops like you? Do the cops like the way your car looks?

Analogy: you and your neighbor cars were speeding down the highway.
You get pulled over and you get the ticket. Neighbor drives home and parks in his driveway partially blocking the sidewalk.

A

Apex

Yes, my neighbor's car was present at the time the ticket was issued.

A

Apex

Yes, my neighbor's car was present at the time the ticket was issued.

That's where I'm confused! The cars were parked there for the same time, my neighbor's car blocked the whole sidewalk, my car didn't. But I got a ticket, my neighbor didn't. It doesn't make any sense!

A

Apex

But what I really want to find out is did I broke the parking rules for parking in my driveway and can I appeal this ticket?

HomeGuru

Apex said:
But what I really want to find out is did I broke the parking rules for parking in my driveway and can I appeal this ticket?

**A: no you broke the parking rules for parking on the sidewalk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">