• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help- Need to know what my rights are.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Neil4200

What is the name of your state? Florida

I don't know if this is where my case fits, but I don't really fit into any category.

I was never legally or otherwise married to my girlfriend. But when I moved into her house, I agreed to establish a home equity line of credit on the house in both of our names. This is the only loan against the house, and I was paying for it, even though 95% of the balance was her prior debt . But her name was the only one on the title. So after eight months, she asks me to leave and moves another guy in the next day.

What I need to know is: Is it still my house? Do I have the right to kick the dude out and move back in (since we are not together any longer, wouldn't it be the same as business partners/roomates owning a house together). Can I force her (or do it without her knowledge) to sell the house so that she has to pay off our joint loan? Or can I somehow force her to get a new loan so that the joint loan is paid off and our credit is no longer linked? What can I do? Am I just screwed?

I gave her a month to take care of this and she still has not. I just wanted her to get a new loan and pay off the joint loan, but she is dragging her feet. I need to expidite the process.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Last edited:

usmcfamily

This sounds somewhat complicated -- since you do not appear on the title my first instinct is to say you are pretty much SOL.....but since you can prove you signed documents financing the home you "may" be able to loophole this -- your BEST bet is to take advantage of the "free initial consultation" most attorneys offer and lay out your case to someone who has dealt with these specific circumstances in your judicial area as they will have the best idea what the general pattern of the courts there is in these cases and can better predict what, if any, chance you have....

N

Neil4200

Thanks for the advice

Thank you. That is what I was planning on doing, but I wanted to see if anyone on here had some answers off the top of their head.

Still, if anyone knows what I can do with my situation, I would like to hear from you. I want to take care of this as soon as possible, and would love it if I can find something out before Monday. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">