• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce And Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MPP

i live in Pennsylvania and am contemplating a divorce. I am inheriting a large sum of money and stock in my name only.
Does that become joint property that would be considered in a divorce situation. Also....What is a deed in trust?
Thank you.

L

LCKYNed

Hi,

Began searching the web an hour ago for the same information. My wife has decided she made a mistake after 14 years and 4 kids. I'd like to reduce any mistakes on my part. Let me know if you find the answer before me. Ned

Pa here too

C

cadaisy

inheritance and divorce/separation

My husband and I have been separated 3 yrs.He is in NJ and Iam in CA.For three years I was under the assumption,because he led me to believe, we would be back together after his mother passed on..(thats a story in itsself) She died in Sept. He has done a complete about face, got well over $300,000 inheritance and a girlfriend to help him spend it. I know its alot more,when all the dust has settled.For 13 1/2 yrs. he raised my daughter,(her bio dad is dead)and since he left has still maintained his relationship with her,she is mentoned as a grandchild in his mothers obit.It ws common knowledge,as his parents were quite wealthy,and he would inherit,he always promised that our daughter would have the money to continue her education and I would have a house.Well, I sure wish I could have that house but it is not as important as our daughters education.Because this is an inheritance do we have any rights at all? We are in CA he is in NJ.
Thanks for any help

C

cyana

"Bump" means moving to the top of the questions in hopes that someone can answer the question. As more questions by other persons are asked the "bumped" post becomes displaced from its position. If so many posts are present that "your" post moves from the first page, you or someone can "bump" it back to the top by simply writing "bump", inserting a "smiley" or even using a ".".

T

toasted

As witlh anything else gotten in a marraige, most states recognize this a joint possession. However there are a few states that allow an inheritence to be soley owned by the benefactor. You should contact an estate lawyer in your state, as they know these special circumstances .

VeronicaGia

Re: inheritance and divorce/separation

cadaisy said:
My husband and I have been separated 3 yrs.He is in NJ and Iam in CA.For three years I was under the assumption,because he led me to believe, we would be back together after his mother passed on..(thats a story in itsself) She died in Sept. He has done a complete about face, got well over $300,000 inheritance and a girlfriend to help him spend it. I know its alot more,when all the dust has settled.For 13 1/2 yrs. he raised my daughter,(her bio dad is dead)and since he left has still maintained his relationship with her,she is mentoned as a grandchild in his mothers obit.It ws common knowledge,as his parents were quite wealthy,and he would inherit,he always promised that our daughter would have the money to continue her education and I would have a house.Well, I sure wish I could have that house but it is not as important as our daughters education.Because this is an inheritance do we have any rights at all? We are in CA he is in NJ.
Thanks for any help
You will have to find out if NJ will consider this his sole property or not. Also, since your daughter is neither his biological nor his legal daughter, she will not stand to inherit anything from him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">